Monday, April 5, 2010
Best Supporting Actress 2005
1. Rachel Weisz as Tessa Quayle in The Constant Gardener: Weisz is just so great in this film! She's sad, radiant, and her presence really drives the whole film! One of the best decisions that the Academy has made.
2. Amy Adams as Ashley Johnsten in Junebug: If only there had been a tie! Adams is fantastic as Ashley, she is funny and has terrific presense, but adds layers of sadness to her character. Wonderful!
3. Michelle Williams as Alma Beers Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain: I've seen this film in bits and pieces, so I'm not sure if this rating will stay the same, but I thought that Williams was heartbreaking and very effective as Alma. She and Ledger work very well together.
4. Frances McDormand as Glory Dodge in North Country: McDormand's role in North Country is a stock role, but she does the best she can with it and both she and Theron help keep North Country from being a terrible film. Grade: two and a half stars (I don't have the star image).
5. Catherine Keener as Harper Lee in Capote: Keener is just okay as Harper Lee, but she has nothing to do except for being supportive to Phiilip Seymour Hoffman. Some good moments, but unimpressive.
What do you think of this lineup? Are you in the Amy Adams fanclub? Who is your pick?