Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married (Performance review)



2008 was a pretty strong year for Best Actress in my opinion, and originally my vote went to Winslet. But after seeing Rachel Getting Married for the fourth time about three weeks ago (?) Anne Hathaway is now my choice for Best Actress. She plays Kym, a recovering drug addict who goes home to see her family for her sister's wedding. Kym is a selfish person who immediately causes trouble because she is used to being the center of attention due to her addiction. During the first half of the film, Hathaway is flawless. Certainly the realism of the movie helps, but I felt that she completely embraced herself in the role. We see glimpses of the girl Kym used to be before (spoiler alert!) the accident and we see that she is trying to connect with her family again. In the scene when Kym reveals what the accident was, Hathaway is devastatingly real and honest. She and Rosemarie Dewitt work brilliantly together, especially the big argument scene in the middle of the film. And the looks on her face during the wedding reception! Just heartbreaking and breathtaking! Hathaway succeeds in showing Kym's bad selfish side and showing how she wants to change herself and her life. Overall, a brilliant performance in my opinion and definitely should have won. So, what do you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just thought I was watching Anne Hathaway act. Instead of watching a character, I was watching Hathaway act, if that makes sense ;D

joe burns said...

Yes, it makes sense, but I thought I was seeing a real person.

Unknown said...

Her moment of epiphany as she quietly bopped her head to music (at the wedding party) sold me.

I saw a caged bird desperate for freedom in those few moments. It's almost as if the rhythm of the drums were harnessing that urge to break-free or something.

I forget if it was just drums, or some song playing at that moment but whatever it was had a pulsating beat to it.

joe burns said...

That's a great moment as well! Perhaps if Winslet wasn't so overdue then she could have won.

Burning Reels said...

Out of the nominess, she definitely should of won - although the lovely Sally Hawkins is my number one for that year

Not many better examples than great ensemble than in Rachel Getting Married

Nice write up, agreed - she absolutely nailed it...both Hathaway's Kim and Hawkins' Poppy begin their films as quite annoying characters but the emotional journey we take with each makes them ultimately very endearing and 'human' but of course Demme and Leigh treat all their characters with love and respect:)

joe burns said...

Agree! It's a shame that Hawkins got snubbed in favor of Jolie . What did you think of the other nominees?

Burning Reels said...

Jolie and Streep (although I am like most people, a big fan of course) would not have made my final five...they were both ok in parts but then both of their films were quite static

Hawkins, Melissa Leo, Hathaway, Kristin Scott Thomas would be my top four and then i'm not sure...I actually didn't mind The Reader as much as some but I know that's a dirty thought for many;)

And yourself, any particular thoughts on the nominees?

joe burns said...

I liked Streep, but I don't think it's one of her best performances. I didn't care for Jolie and I was blown away by Winslet at first, but now I'm not sure. Leo was great!