Friday, March 12, 2010
Best Supporting Actress 2007
1. Amy Ryan as Helene McCready in Gone Baby Gone; Ryan delivers a fantastic, completely realistic performance that adds a lot to this film. She is unlikeable, but Ryan is able to make us feel sympathy for her and understand her situation. Excellent work!
2. Saoirse Ronan as Briony Tallis in Atonement: The second half of Atonement is a mess, but the first half works and much of that is due to Ronan's performance. It's complex and layered work which is a remarkable feat especially for someone so young.
3. Tilda Swinton as Karen Crowder in Michael Clayton: Swinton is fascinating as Karen, and just brilliant. She humanizes the character extremely well and she and George Clooney work great together!
4. Cate Blanchett as Bob Dylan in I'm Not There: I watched her performance on Youtube and since her performance is one whole section of the film, I think it counts. Anyway, Blanchett is very good as Dylan and its very well done. I just don't find it as good as some people think and I liked her better in The Aviator and especially in Notes On A Scandal.
5. Ruby Dee as Mama Lucas in American Gangster: I also watched this performance on Youtube since it's so short and I was unimpressed. I mean, all she has is that slap scene and what else? Also, I could anyone play that part since its so undemanding.
What do you think?