Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Best Actress 2006:Kate Winslet in Little Chidren


First of all, Kate Winslet is probably my favorite actress ever. I just think she's brilliant. And all of her nominations (Except for The Reader) all made my favorite nominees list's. And this is one of her best performances. She plays Sarah Pierce, a bored housewife and bad mother who feels trapped by her husband and the horribly perfect suburban housewife's in the neighborhood. But then she meets Brad, a stay at home dad, who without thinking, hugs and kisses Sarah, shocking the other women in the park. She and Brad develop a friendship with him and her daughter and his son also become friends. They soon begin an affair, but Sarah knows that she can't bear it being like this for long and she longs have a permanent life with Brad. What a tricky role to play! We could despise Sarah for having an affair and for not being a good mother and not care about her at all, but Winslet makes us care and we are even fascinated by Sarah. It's a very subtle performance and Kate is so real and believable. She makes us feel Sarah's emotions so wonderfully. I love the moment when after finishing her daily run, she sees her friend at the door and we feel her happiness at seeing her. It's a great moment. I also really like the part when she is gazing at Brad in the swimming pool, her eyes filled with desire and fascination. Both she and Patrick Wilson work well together, even though Wilson isn't very good overall, in my opinion. Sarah is the center of the film and Winslet is the one we care about the most.I remember reading in Entertainment Weekly in the article when the Oscar voters say who they're voting for that one voter said that Winslet was able to get inside of her character which is what acting is and that is a perfect way to describe it. Overall, a beautiful performance, by an amazing actress, in a great film (which is an even better book!) which gets

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liked her alot in this...It might be her best performance, for me.

joe burns said...

I think Eternal Sunshine is her best, but this, as I said, is certainly one of her best. Would have been a worthy winner, and could have won if Mirren hadn't won every award that year. Who is your personal choice this year?

Anonymous said...

My heart this belongs with Sook-Yin Lee in Shortbus...Abigail Breslin is borderline lead in Little Miss Sunshine, so those are both major contenders for me.

joe burns said...

And Judi Dench would come in third for you? And do 2007 next!

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I give Breslin supporting, so Judi would be second :)

Oops, I should keep my choices secret ;D

I probably will because I want to watch The Savages again.

joe burns said...

Yeah, Little Miss Sunshine is an ensemble film, so technically, they're lead, but supporting too, lol. Don you think you'll Cotillard on repeat viewing? And I love The Savages!

Anonymous said...

I doubt it...but we can always try again.

joe burns said...

The first time I saw it, I said that she didn't even deserve a nomination, but I talked myself into thinking she was great. I guess it was all the love for her that made me want to like it, but I'll do 2007 after I do 2006, but after you do it, of course.

Unknown said...

What I like about her character is the fact that it foils of all the other superficial housewives.

This is true in one of the first scenes---specifically the one in which she defies gossip to go meet Brad. (the one you referenced).

I also like the fact that she fit comfortably into American Suburbia despite her British Roots. I remember when I first saw her, in costume and all (before speaking) I was a bit skeptic--->For a moment she felt displaced.. But I was sold as soon as she delivered lines, thus going beyond the costumes to flesh out the character (or in other words, bringing emotional). depth.

Unknown said...

Winslet is great in this! I just love the way she builts her character, specially the final scene with her daughter. My only complain is that there is excessive nudity.

Brandon said...

I really liked Kate in Titanic, but not too many others agree.

joe burns said...

Nigel: Yes, she really nails suburban films. Revolutionary Road was great too!

Winslet: She does appear nude a lot, but that's what the role requires.

Twister: I love her in Titanic!

Malcolm said...

Kate's great in this one. But she has a very small screentime, I'm beginning to doubt if she's really a lead here.