5. Helen Mirren in The Queen
- Helen Mirren gives a very good, subtle portrayal of Queen Elizabeth the 2nd, and despite being a little underwhelming, a worthy nominee.
4. Penelope Cruz in Volver
- Cruz gives a well grounded, radiant performance that really shows that she can act. Underrated, but the best of her nominated performances.
3. Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada
-Meryl Streep is able to deliver a nuanced, funny, and layered performance where other actresses could have made it ridiculous. Her best performance this decade for me.
2. Kate Winslet in Little Children
- One of the best actresses of all time shines in the role of Sarah, and is subtle, intimate, real, and believable.
1. Judi Dench in Notes On A Scandal
- Judi Dench gives the best performance of her career and it is a chilling, fascinating, and brilliant portrayal. Simply a superb achievement.