1. Monique as Mary Jones in Precious: Wow, what a performance! Monique delivers a powerful, incredibly realistic performance that humanizes a cruel, unsympathetic character. Not sure what else to say. Simply amazing!
2. Anna Kendrick as Natalie Keener in Up In The Air: Kendrick is perfectly cast in the role of Natalie Keener, an uptight, neurotic young woman who discovers more about herself and about life. She's funny, annoying, and all around great!
3. Vera Farmiga as Alex Goran in Up In The Air: The second time I saw Up In The Air, I was little underwhelmed by this performance, but it's still good. She adds a lot to the film and has great chemistry with George Clooney. Brilliant monolgue scene as well.
4. Penelope Cruz as Carla in Nine: The best performance in the entire film! I love Penelope and she steals every scene she's in. Perhaps a nomination is too much, but still wonderful.
5. Maggie as Jean Craddock in Crazy Heart: I'm happy that she came out of nowhere and got a nomination, but this felt off to me. Her role is a stock role and at times she feels to abrupt, but I give her credit for being very natural and having great chemistry with Jeff Bridges.
What are your thoughts?