Saturday, February 27, 2010

Last movie seen: An Education

I saw this film for the first time,like four or five months ago, and I was underwhelmed. The movie seemed rather average and if you remember from my first review of the film, I said that Mulligan was good, but in my opinion, overrated and not Oscar-worthy. But I've been thinking more and more about her performance and I wanted to take another look at the film. So I did and I was completely won over by Mulligan's performance. The depth and subtle detail she gives to the performance is beautiful and she is so real and funny as well. My feelings for the film itself have also grown, though I still think there are flaws (The parents relationship with Mulligan's suitor) and Alfred Molina was a little better then the first time,but not by much. I have not seen The Last Station yet, but I can say that Gabourey Sidibe and Mulligan are way ahead of both Streep and Bullock and would both be very worthy winners, but it seems unlikely that they will be able to win. So, what do you think? Were you impressed by Mulligan? P.S Please comment Andrew, I know you love the film!

3 comments:

Jude said...

I LOVED An Education the second I saw it, and I'm thrilled you finally came around to it. The only thing with Mulligan winning the Oscar is it could potentially destroy her career, and after seeing An Education I think that that's the last thing I would want to happen.

joe burns said...

I could see that happening, but I hope that doesn't happen if she wins. I'm hope that she or Sidibe wins.

Andrew K. said...

Glad you changed your mind, though I still like Molina. Shrugs. But she ain't winning, unfortunately.