5. Jean Simmons in The Happy Ending:
Despite having a lackluster script, Jean Simmons still gives a subtle, honest performance which is beautiful to watch.
4. Jane Fonda in They Shoot Horses Don't They?:
Jane Fonda gives a gritty, powerful portrait of a woman undergoing terrible suffering. Devastating work.
3. Genieve Anne Bujold in Anne Of The Thousand Days :
Bujold delivers a fantastic portrayal, always in control of her character, and always convincing.
2. Liza Minnelli in The Sterile Cuckoo:
Liza is heartbreaking as Pookie, making her both loveable and unlikeable. She shows Pookie's emotions in a remarkable way.
1. Maggie Smith in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie:
Maggie Smith is just amazing as Jean Brodie, never going too over the top. A performance for the ages.