Sunday, May 16, 2010
Best Supporting Actress 2008
1. Marisa Tomei as Cassidy/Pam in The Wrestler: Tomei delivers a gutwrenching, beautiful performance which is very authentic. She and Rourke have brilliant chemistry and she never let her role become a stereotype.
2. Amy Adams as Sister James in Doubt: Adams gives a subtle, fantastic performance which might be her best. I thought she gave the strongest performance in Doubt and she really showed the internal battle going on inside her character.
3. Viola Davis as Ms. Miller in Doubt: Davis adds a lot to the film and steers the story in the right direction. She is heartbreaking and totally makes us understand Ms. Miller's actions.
4. Penelope Cruz as Maria Elena in Vicky, Cristina Barcelona: Cruz was the only reason that I didn't completely like V.C.B. Her presence drives the film and I really felt the passions of her character.
5. Tarajii P. Henson as Queenie in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: Henson has a nothing role that is a complete caricature. There is nothing Oscar-worthy in this performance and there were more worthier performances that should have been nominated.
I thought this was a really strong year for this category. Except for Henson, everybody deserved their nominations and would have been worthy winners. My own personal choice though is Rosemarie Dewitt for Rachel Getting Married and I don't understand how she wasn't nominated. So, who is your choice for this year and what did you think of this lineup?