Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Nine review

After seeing Nine a few days ago, I can't say that it was a perfect film. I enjoyed the musical numbers, but the story didn't quite work. First of all, Rob Marshall uses the same concept for the musical numbers that he used for Chicago: having the main character imagine the songs in their head. The problem with this is that, unlike with Roxie Hart, the film makers never give a reason why Guido would imagine songs in his head. Another problem is that the characters are never developed enough. Take Marion Cotillard: She's good, but stuck in a one-note role that needs more screen time. Same with Judi Dench. But I thought that Penelope Cruz was exceptional. She's great in her musical number and is able to make her character work. Daniel Day-Lewis is miscast and is unable to make his character be very interesting or compelling. The rest of the cast is good, but it seems like their more cameos then performances. So my grade for the film is a C plus leaning towards to a C. So tell me, what do you think of this film if you've seen it? If you have, do disagree with anything that I've said?

6 comments:

Tom said...

I don't think I'll go see it. :(

joe burns said...

I guess I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're (like me) who sees movies just because of awards buzz, then I guess you should see it. I'm not sure it'll get nominated though, given the mixed reviews.

Tom said...

How many scenes is Sophia Loren in? IE, how much screen time? If more than 20 minutes, then I'll go see it. :)

joe burns said...

No, I think she has about 5 minutes of screentime. Her role is very short.

Anonymous said...

And what was up with Day Lewis's accent? That was insane....

joe burns said...

Yeah, he was really bad.