Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Films I've seen recently

The Heiress:I loved this film. Not only was I blown away by Dehavilland's performance,the script,direction,and the other performances were great as well. The Lion In Winter: Wow. I loved this movie as well!. Hepburn was AMAZING and she and O'toole have great chemistry.Hud:A very strong movie as well. Paul Newman was excellent and both Neal and Douglas completely deserved their Oscars. The Rose Tattoo: The 1st half was good,but the film fell WAY down in the 2nd half. Not only was Burt Lancaster terrible,but the relationship between his character and Anna Magnani wasn't conceived very well and it just didn't make sense. However,Magnani is able to rise above this and deliver a brilliant performance. The Good Earth: Didn't really like this movie. Not bad,but it just wasn't my type of film. A good performance by Louise Rainer,although I wish her character was a little more. The Country Girl: A movie that just didn't have much of a plot,in my opinion. Good,but not great performances by Bing Crosby and William Holden,but the film was just alright. Grace Kelly stole the movie with her knock-out portrayal and, in my opinion, deserved her Oscar. Which brings me too............... A Star Is Born: Both Judy Garland and James Mason are outstanding in this. And although,as I said above,I felt that Kelly was deserving,Garland was still incredible,especially when she sings "The man that got away". Note:I also saw Klute and Howard's End recently,but I don't want to include to many films in my post.Please comment! I hate it when I get zero comments.

4 comments:

Fritz said...

I totally agree with you about The Rose Tattoo!

joe burns said...

Glad to see that you do!

Tom said...

I totally disagree about the Rose Tattoo. And no one is mentioning the relationship between her and her daughter. What a brilliant performance, one of the best of all time, in my opinion.

joe burns said...

I do think that the relationship between Magnani and her daughter was a well developed plot development, but the relationship between Magnani and Burt Lancaster didn't make any sense.